Tuesday, February 5, 2008

crossword blues, mullets, and new tricks.....

For those of you who don't know my Dad...he loves crossword puzzles. He has done the Review-Journal's puzzle in the Living section since I can remember. Started out in pencil with "occasional" help from my mom to finish. Then he narrowed it down to himself which evolved in the use of pen...no eraser needed. (And p.s....my dad has now moved on to the New York Times and other various harder crosswords for the challenge...whatever!)

I've become addicted. Though I can't start until I've read each section of the paper (especially the obituaries and minus the sports). Something totally refreshing about using my brain to figure it out! (No internet allowed....of course unless I ask Joe and sneaks on to sound smart :) Sometimes it hurts. When I know it's there in my head and I can't start the crank that gets the wheels in motion. That's where I am today. After such a successful evening crossing (that doesn't mean I finished...I have NEVER finished one by myself...totally depressing) I opened the paper only to find today's cross getting me down. This happens on various occasions, but once while at my Dad's house I asked him for a little help and advice on crossing...
it went something like this...

dad: "Okay, let's start with the first one accross. (What ever the clue was)--what do you think?"

me: "ummm, let me think...ummm....four letters, huh? Oh, I don't know..."

dad: "it's _ _ _ _."

me: "Oh, duh."

etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.....
We went through the whole puzzle in about 10 minutes and I think I got two right off the bat...at the end my dad graciously said, "it takes a while to think like the guy who rights these, plus I have 31 years on you." I don't think it's the 31 years my senior he's got on me. It's the brain. Oh well...I'm still going to cross and darn-it-all....one day I'll be inking it in ten minutes.

Next dilemma....Kate's mullet. What do I do? Her hair is SO curly (sorry little girl) that it is full on ratty pre and post cleansing and styling. So...I always put it in "witchy piggies" because then we can actually have it "done." The problem is that when I don't put it in the pigs...she's got full on business in front and party in back...which does aid in actually having piggies. My mom says don't cut it anymore (I've been fighting this mullet with sissors for a while) but I'm feeling like the party's been going on long enough back there. But if I do cut...the piggies aren't as cute which I pretty much do everyday.....hummffffff. Any advise? As you contemplate these REALLY PRESSING ISSUES...here are some new tricks I've learned with my camera! Staight from the camera itself..wait, wait....there are two that I used the "boost" from picnik.com...but the black and white and grainy...straight from the camera.























And...Truman's debut as the "picture-taker..."



sorry about the photo OVER-KILL...but I just couldn't resist the collage...


18 comments:

eclaires said...

I love crossword puzzles. Try the New York Times Monday puzzles. Monday is always the easiest. They get progressively harder throughout the week.

Your pictures look great! I'm jealous of your camera!

By the way, I tagged you on my blog. :)

Grandma lu said...

lOVE THE PICTURES! LOVE THE CROSSWORD DIALOGUE! YOU WILL BE WRITING IN INK IN NO TIME.

THANKS FOR THE USE OF YOUR TREADMILL

Mark and Maria said...

You are awesome Suz! I love your pictures!!! Time for another lesson!
I love Kates hair! Personally, I wouldn't cut it...at least not much because I've experienced the feeling after my sister Sandy just couldn't keep her scissors away from Jessica's used-to-be mullet! It's sad to cut off all those cute curls. If you do cut them...just maybe a little at a time so it's not so sad. I love her little piggies, though...even if it she does were them everyday, she just looks so cute!

lori said...

Love the pictures!! And we laughed and laughed about the crossword! Glad someone is working to continue Grandpa's legacy!

(and I'm laughing about Kate's hair. Kate looks so groomed and beauitiful compared to my wild curl child. No idea what to do with that mane! Whatever. They're two!)

Jaime said...

love the pictures! What background did you use?

Jeremiah Nielson said...

love the photos suz! my favorite is the one of kate on the left hand side...so sweet. love, court

suzy said...

jamie...I used two white thick cardboard foamy things that I had. You know, the science project board...I thought I'd try it.

team howey said...

Don't cut it...just let Truman!!! :) Really, I remember this little girl in my elementary that had the longest, curliest hair, and I was ALWAYS so jealous. I wouldn't cut it, let it grow long and gorgeous.

The Ratchford Family said...

Suz,
Do not cut I repeat do not cut. I thought that I could fix Leahs hair by cuting a few inches off. Next thing I knew there was no curl left. I cried that night as I realized I had ruined the perfect ponnies. Where you put them in get the hair wet and it turns in to a perfect ringlet. But if you are sure that there is curl there that will grow in you can cut. I just wish I would have held onto that baby curl for awhile longer.

Abby said...

ok suzy Im dying over the pictures!!! ahh! Amy has been using a bit mat board for her back ground. Is that the kind of thing you used? they look sooo good! I cant handle it. And really no editing on those?? Thats pretty amazing! I really really want a nice camera!

Lindsay said...

Beautiful pics Suzy! Even Trumans! Your family always looks like they've stepped out a magazine and I especially mean you!

Becca said...

suzy, you've got to watch "word play" it's a documentary centered around will shortz, the editor of the times crossword. it's great!

my advice on the hair... cut it! (you knew i'd say that, right?). nothing cuter or easier to take care of than a cute curly little stacked bob!

Erin said...

Hey Suzy,
I love your blog. you are talented with the camera and your kids are so beautiful. I think it would be hard to see those darling pigtails go. She is so cute. I gave Lizzy a bob because I am so lazy I can't do her hair everyday and now she looks decent without effort. I am all for ease.

suzy said...

ERIN...it's so good to hear from you! I didn't know you had a blog!

Erin said...

Suzy,
I wanted to invite you to the blog (I just started it a month ago) but don't have a current address. You can send me your address at kansasharpist@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

i have embraced the rat living and making its home in my daughter's curly ratty ringlets. i don't have an answer because amelia and i had a knock-down drag-out brawl the other day about combing and putting a pony in her hair. i realized i lost the fight when she grabbed the haphazard pony-tail and yanked it out, "i HATE ponies!!!" she said. if it makes you feel any better she JUST grew out her mullet, so it will happen. and praise heaven above that she will even let you touch her hair.

JENNIE! said...

great pics suzy!!!

Anonymous said...

Suz-love those pictures. The kids are so adorable...don't cut little Katie's hair. It is to cute...I wish I had not cut little Emmy's hair when I did. Now that is grown out a little I still miss it. HOpe you are feeling ok...love you guys.
Trisha