Monday, August 25, 2008

first day....

How can my baby be old enough?
(How can I be old enough???)

We all woke up nice and early with smiles all around.

(Oh yah, except the smiles kind of faded as soon as their bodies realized they still wanted to sleep. And sister didn't want to eat breakfast because she's still on the mend...but my buddy--he was just thrilled with the fact that he was going to the "new" school and not the first one. He can't stop talking about it.)

We ran into Mia in the parking lot.

(I think we all were a little nervous...)



Then it was outside for the pledge and prayer.

He lined up so nicely and was so brave. I was too.

The little girls played as the others began their routines.

Sweet Wynn...can't wait to start preschool with you.
(That's all she talks about...our only saving grace from complete come apart because she can't stay with Trum. Not like she wouldn't be freaking out the second I left...it's going to be a whole other story when she starts....)

AND....our FABULOUS TEACHER...Ms. Bailey!!!
She is so good with those little ones! Once Trum was with her he didn't even care if I was there or not. We ALL are thrilled!

Then the pledge began I was literally fighting back the tears! Those emotions totally threw me for a loop!!! (Joe would have been bawling like a baby!!!) He's been so ready and so excited for school.... and quite frankly so have I...that I didn't think I would be emotional. But as they all put their little hands over their little hearts and started the pledge I realized that this is the first day of saying goodbye to my buddy all day long...until he leaves home. sniff sniff...and that makes me a tad emotional. (Note to self: read this entry when he gets home and they start going after each other.)

So to honor Joe I left Trum with this little reminder...
"make it a great day...!!!"

12 comments:

Abby said...

so cute! Hope his first day was fun! I think I will die when sam starts kindergarden... ah.

lori said...

Oh, this makes me all emotional too! You kiddos are so cute and grown up and I know if won't be very long until I'm snuffling up a storm about sending Lucy to school!

My mom told me to, "make it a great day!" every morning that I left for school, too. sniff, sniff. =)

Natalie said...

Truman is so big now. I bet it was pretty hard. I hope he enjoyed his first day! Good luck with the two babies at home.

Grandma lu said...

Bittersweet and just the beginning of so many "see you later, Mom" moments! But that is what it is all about, helping each other be self-reliant and brave! Carry on, Truman!

Shannon C said...

I'm with you on the sniff, sniffs! Oh, it was a hard day. It really hit me a couple of days before school. I too realize I wouldn't have my buddy with me all day. Those days of him being with me all day are gone. The weekends just became a whole lot more important! I have a huge lump in my throat just thinking about you and Truma and Jayce and me. Our boys are in "big school" now.

Erin said...

What beautiful photos to capture such a momentous day. It sounds like he is in all day Kindergarten. It is such a long time. Good thing he is so excited!

Maegan said...

Your son looks so much like Joe, it's crazy! He looks so cute getting ready for his big day. I felt the same way when my oldest son started school, now he is in second grade and I love it! It's nice to have one on one with the others. So so cute!

Phoebe said...

oh those beautiful kids! Motherhood is such a trip! I know you hear it over and over...enjoy these years, some of the best!! Hope Truman had a great day! I'm sure Kate was delighted when he got home! .... at least for 5 or 10 minutes:)

team howey said...

Wow, kindergarten is such a milestone! Way to keep it together...it is surprisingly difficult to let go, even if they are ready. Is Truman going to Goolsby?

Jaime said...

So cute! I love first day of school JUST for the pictures!

Hey Suzy - wondering about Vegas...do you guys love it? We are thinking about setting up shop there and wondered what it would be like to live there. I've been to Vegas (malls, strip & all) a thousand times, but I'm sure it's different to actually live there. The job is in the Summerlin area. Anyways, just thought I'd get some opinions & details. Thanks!

Jaime said...

Oh & my email if you'd rather not spill out the details in a blog post is:

jme.mitchell@yahoo.com

:)

Marci said...

Oh--it doesn't get easier. Maggie is starting tomorrow! It was great to read your blog and rehearse some of the feelings I'll be tugging with tomorrow. Go for it Trum!