Tuesday, September 11, 2007

LOgan TO JAckson.....aka.......

LOTOJA CLASSIC....

We are back and alive with no major parts missing....unless your car counts as A MAJOR PART!
Let the story begin....

It all began with dropping these two off...which is not my favorite thing to do, Butsince it was with these guys, I could do it. (Picture them all without green hair! :)
And if you ever want to know who I want to be when I grow up, click HERE! I'm dead serious! So far so good! We leave Vegas around 1:30 pm and are fairly pleased with our time! (Um, we're the couple that never leaves at our ETD, so this is a big deal (in a good way) that we are only 30 minutes behind.) We head up the road and when we are in the middle of the gorge, where there is NO cell phone service, our trusty little car decides that she isn't feeling up for the challenge. None of her gears are catching and she's only giving us 20 miles per hour. My silent prayer is catching itself and repeating over and over...PLEASE LET US GET OUT OF HERE SO OUR PHONES WORK!!! Thankfully we did. We made it to St. George and were able to use this... Thank you Grandma and girls for letting us take this sweet ride! This was our party car and the only one remotely like its kind in Jackson Hole! Okay, we get it figured out, leave our car in St. George and take off. Minor glitch, that's all. It only set us back about an hour. A few hours later, twenty minutes outside of Fillmore- pitch black, Joe talking on the phone- all of the sudden the tire blows to shreds, Joe chucks the phone, and seriously muscles the car over to the side of the road. It was the front right tire and I cannot believe how hard it jerked our car, good thing Joe was driving. Joe's personal injury history has him freaked that our car's going to get hit, so I have to get out of the car. I'm just trying to find a neutral space where I'm not going to get killed by either: A) a moving vehicle, B) something or someone creepy coming out of the too quiet and too dark brush at the side or the road, C) freezing to death. After about 30 minutes of trying to find the jack to even change the tire, the whole time using a cell phone as a flash light, Joe finally gets the process going. Pretty soon a friendly police officer pulls over and offers us a light! GOOD THING. Finally get the spare on only to find out it is flat. So me, Joe, and Mr. Officer drive Mr. Officer's car 20 minutes back to Fillmore and then 20 minutes back to the car. We get the spare on and we're ready to go! Only to figure out that by the time we make it to Provo, it will have taken us 11 hours total! We got there at midnight! At least we made it!

Next day, Joe goes for a pleasure ride (as if that even exists) up the canyon, I get the tire fixed! Off to Logan we go. After a minor Gateway stop, we make it in time to feast with the "Red Burrows." And feast they did, but not the fun way. No refined carbs, white sugar, white pasta, bread, red meats, sodas, cream sauces....and so on and so forth. You could see the pain in their faces, they all couldn't wait for the day after the race to pig out! Joe did pretty well the day before the race, only one cookie, a little candy, lots of white bread and Alfredo sauce....:) Then for the really party...ABBY BRONSON AND SAM!!!


So my darling cousin and her husband let us stay at her apartment! It was a so fun. We photoshopped, took the ugliest distorted pictures of me, and talked way too late! They even got up in the morning to see Joe and Abby's brother-in-law Dennis start the race.

The morning of....a little early for the two of us.
Off they go, and off I go. This is the actual map of their course. They are the red line, I am the blue. I have to head off on these back paths of dirt road and nothing! Lucky for me...there are only about 1000 other cars on as "official support" too. Literally.

I had a walkie-talkie to chat with my friends and my trusty ipod, of course two different phones with two different providers helped a ton. A little FYI, cingular/AT&T had the best coverage over all in the middles of nowhere! My T-mobile has sorry coverage!

First feed zone....not the happiest.


The last leg of the race.....actually happier.


The finish line!!! My batteries in my camera (previous entry) ran out just as we posed together for a shot! At least I got one of him....and look, it isn't even THAT dark yet! :)



He finished in 12 hours and I think 29 minutes. The results aren't posted yet, so I'm going on memory. He rode the whole time!!! 206 miles. They are crazy! Cycling is becoming one of my favorite sports to support! You cheer them on at the start line, and then show up for cheers at the finish line! It's fun! You don't have to sit through the whole thing...just the start and the end. What's not to love?!

STAYING IN JACKSON WAS A TON OF FUN! WE HAD A GREAT TIME! This blog is getting toooooo long!

Last but not least...the car wasn't going to be finished until Tuesday. So it is stuck in St. George because we had to come back Monday. We pulled in around 10:30 pm put our kids in the car, headed home only to find that we are locked out! The keys and garage door opener are in St. George with the car! AWESOME! Call the locksmith, to find that after hours it is 150$ instead of 40$. So we head back to my moms, spent the night and ARE FINALLY IN OUR OWN HOME!!!!

AND....the sweet ending is that our car part was recalled and under warranty...totally fixed and totally free! That counts for something, right?

10 comments:

JENNIE! said...

I am so glad you started a blog, I can't wait to get a glimpse of all your "STYLE." And CONGRATULATIONS! I had no idea you were pregnant.... What happened to November? J/K/ .... I may have changed my mind about that... 3 is starting to sound like a nice number:) Glad you all had a good time in Jackson Hole!

lori said...

YIKES Suzy! WHAT CRAZINESS!! We're glad you're home safely after all of the drama - and we're so proud of Joe! Dang, that's a long way to ride a bike!!

Loved seeing pics of your kids at Maria's! Loved reading about your adventures!

Rachel said...

suz... i'm totally laughing out loud.. what a trip!! at least the fixing of the car was free :) maria is wonderwoman!! it looks like your kids had fun.. i'm glad that race is over.. yeah!!!
ps- way to go Joe!!!!

Mark and Maria said...

Suzy, I will have to say that my weekend with 7 kids was less eventful than your weekend! I'm glad you are back in one peice and had a good time. Thanks for letting me watch your kids and making me sound like an amazing person...ha ha!

Abby said...

suzy that was the funniest post ever! haha I was lol too!

Phoebe said...

wow! that is and ADVENTURE! Glad it all worked out and ended successfully!! Looks like the kids had a great time too! Love when thats the case!! What an accomplishment Joe! Glad your back safe and sound and that the Grand Marquis was good to you!!

Grandma lu said...

Finally had time to read your blog Sue! What a trip! Is it funny to you yet? Your kids are the sweetest. We had such a good time!

Jack Attack said...

suzy, i stumbled upon your blog through some random links of old byu roommates. your family is adorable. congrats on #3 and to Joe for finishing the race. Aaron is just getting into road bikes and I am paranoid he's going to hit by a car.
Brit Papa

Anthony and Krista said...

I am glad that I found your blog through my sister-in-law jennie's. I was at LOTOJA as well and my hubby is in the back ground of some of your pitures (he is the red burrow with the yellow helmet). I like your LOTOJA story! very funny!

suzy said...

Krista, can you believe they actually finished that? Just checked out your blog, too fun! I've known your family since I was little, and once I put it together, I can totally see the resemblance. :) Next time make him take you to Havasupai...it's amazing!