Saturday, October 27, 2007

acknowlegment...the first step.

I'd like to think of myself as "normal" at least according to my personal parameters (does that really count then?) ...but I've got issues. (no big surprise, I know) I'm a "get a deal" kinda girl. Always have been. I assumed as circumstance and situation in life changed, I would as well. Not really the case. Maybe on some levels...but I still want to "get a deal." A weird adrenalin/beat-the-system kind of high. I'm always looking and waiting for just the right timing. Get the most for my buck! (side note: This does not include "investment" items or "one-of-a-kinds." And wouldn't it be great if I were referring to something other than clothes, housing items and other non-sensible material items that I usually have too much of anyway? I'm not.)

So here is the issue at hand...I'm a floater! Definition: Purchasing an item but never committing to that item until it is worn/used/nonreturnable. If I can't commit, I return it and float the money on over to another purchase for the better DEAL without any buyers remorse...because hey, I haven't really spent any money on this NEW item, I'm just using the money from the original purchase. Are you getting my twisted thinking? I have things for months in bags with tags...just in case. Just in case...I find a similar item that is WAY better, or would rather take the money previously spent on this now dejected item and put it for something more desirable. I keep my receipts, ALL. I know return policies. I don't buy at Forever 21 unless I can commit in the the store (which usually isn't an issue because you get what you pay for and it's super cheap.) Why the neurosis? This behavior cultivates feelings of thriftiness and frugality. And more important, fuels my "got a deal" high. I'm not spending very much on this new item because I'm using the money from the returned item. Is that an issue or what!? I'm not NOT spending. I'm just floating my money around adding a little here, adding a little there. And feeling great! Of course, if I go to Anthropologie it's a whole other issue waiting and lurking...

Am I alone in this clear-spender's conscious (which is so not the case)? Is this genetic? Do you just love that a return of purchase is "free-for-all" money for me so I can just keep on spending?! You know..."get the most out of my buck"...(ya right!) Well, today I actually do. Even though acknowledging the problem is the first step of recovery I'm not sure it helped. I'm looking at my bags of new maternity shirts from Anthropologie-- SUPER good sale (and no, Anthropologie does not have a new maternity line) and I can't quite make my clear-spender's conscious feel guilty... Hummm, guess I'll have to keep it all! So much for step one!

10 comments:

Jek said...

Ditto. That couldn't sound more like me. jason calls me a schemer. ALWAYS scheming, trying to manipulate the system somehow! I am even WORSE at restaraunts. I need it precisely right and I usually ALWAYS love what I get. Maybe we learned this together when we were younger.

Anonymous said...

I am the exact same way, can we start a support group for this issue? Actually, I like the issue and am not too keen on seeing disappear any time soon, so lets just get together and chat about it, instead.

Natalie said...

I have you to thank for changing me into more of a bargain shopper:) Chad probably has not seen any difference with the money I have spent, only because I now being the "Better Bargain Shopper" that I am can bring home 10 items for the price of the two items I would normally buy. Thanks Suz!

Natalie said...

Oh and by the way, I ate a apple pie apple today with my mom... need I say more?

Grandma lu said...

Is it all my fault??? Why can't I ever find any of my receipts?

Phoebe said...

hahah!! I was laughing all the way through this post! My kids and "other people" die at me because I leave the tags on all the clothes I buy if at all possible!! Who knows I may want to return it..even after I've worn it! (i really don't do it...but gives me a sense of security or something!) and yes the whole bargain get-a-deal mentality...totally genetic!!!

Rachel said...

I have to agree with the fact that the bargin hunter's mentality is genetic. I have numerous items purchased at such a deal I just couldn't pass them up.....i.e. scarves, hats and gloves purchased for pennies at Old Navy last year ...ugh..need any???? Hahaha, great post Suz! For years I had a phobia about returning items....I'm pretty good at it now...floating money works!!!

Becky J. said...

Suzy,
This is your old mission greenie, Becky Lamb (now Jensen)! How are you?! I got your blog address from Karene and hope you don't mind my dropping in to see your adorable family and what you're up to! You look great and your kids are so darling! We have a blog, too, if you want to pop by sometime. It's www.sophiejojensen.blogspot.com. Do uslyszenia!

Jack Attack said...

guilty! I am a "recycle shopper" as well, always holding out for a better deal, rolling the returned money over to another purchase. I wonder when the day will come when a store refuses to accept my return b/c I have exceeded my limit.

p.s. I have a nephew named William and I love the name.

JENNIE! said...

yeah... me to. I go as far as wearing clothes with tags on it a few times until I decide if I like it. (It really stinks when people tell me I have a tag on and I have to take it off). Bad Jennie!