Monday, August 27, 2007

BETTER DAYS...

have come at last! Since cutting out all dairy and fast food greeeeezzzzze....(you'd think I'd have learned from the previous two pregnancies...nope) I reduced the I'm-going-to-throw-up-right-now-but-not-really-I'm-just-going-to-wish-I-could feeling to a functioning upset stomach with just a few peak nauseous times. Hallelujah! With of course a many thank to hard candy and gum.
This one verses this one...





I watched the five hour (5H) version of Pride and Prejudice this Saturday while Joe took the kids to Chucky Cheese's and shopping (gotta love that Joe) and I'm going to just say it, flat out, how it is...Even though I did not like Kiera Knightly previously, (and by the way...she's dating Rupert Friend--LOVE LOVE LOVE him, if there were ever an actor to play Edward, Rupert has my vote. He plays Wickham in the new P & P) she has won my heart in the new version of Pride and Prejudice. They did such a fabulous job this time. Even though Colin Firth is good to the eyes, he does Darcy no justice! Shame on him! He's not all grouchy and mean. He's a serious kind of guy, more on the quiet side, who has his own fair share of pride. And Matthew Macfadyen, thank you. Although not a total babe in the beginning...you can walk towards me through a field in the wee am hours anytime you please! LOVE him! He emotes so much more than Colin. You see his struggle and love him for it! As for the Bennet family....In the book, Jane is the more beautiful one. 5H version...Jane looks kind of like a line-backer (not very nice, but it's to prove a point), new and improved version...Rosamund Pike is absolutely beautiful. And I'd like to think that in the book the Bennet parents actually do care for each other, on some level or another. Thank you new version. As silly as Mrs. Bennet is (a fabulous job Brenda Blethyn) Mr. Bennet does care and does not treat her as badly as the 5H version. Of course the Mrs. Bennet in the 5H is bad enough that I would probably treat her the same way. Anyway, there are a myriad of comparisons. The positive about the 5H is that it is actually five hours! I would not complain if the new one were. Of course that sounds crazy, but I'm sticking with it. I know I'm opposed on many levels, there is a great debate between the two versions...but bring it! For all those who have not yet seen the new Pride and Prejudice....go get it! Watch it uninterrupted and enjoy!

4 comments:

Grandma lu said...

Haven't seen Colin Firth but after reading AUSTINLAND feel like I really must. Someday . . . Someday. . .

Jeremiah Nielson said...

one thing's for sure, you've got to be the most healthy prego girl around by not having fast food. i'm all about sending jer out at 11pm for my taco bell bean burrito. :)
and you already know how i love the new pride & prejudice. i mean, come on, they never even kiss in the 5 hour version and for me to sit through 5 hours and in the end all they do is walk down a lane side by side....ugh! i always feel like there's something missing.

lori said...

No, no - there IS a kiss! After the wedding, in the carriage! Let us not forget these important details! :)

Honestly, I've got to watch them both again. My gut feeling tells me to take issue with your argument, Suz, but I'm sure that's because I've seen the 5H version a million times and the new one, only once. So to be fair, just to be fair, I'll have to rent the new one again. And I probably better do it tonight. These are important questions, are they not? Procrastination would certainly not be advisable.

Glad you're feeling just a tad better! Your healthy lifestyle is an inspiration to all the free world!! Bless your heart!

Mike said...

There is really no dispute that P&P2 (as the 5 hour A&E version is known by true Austenites) is more faithful to the book and, ergo, superior to the other film versions of P&P. Aside from many minor departures, including the kissing at the end, the most egregious one is when they almost kiss when Darcy first proposes to Elizabeth. That is all wrong. Reread that part of the book: she clearly hates the guy, and he is insulting her. I'm sorry, hollywood's retelling lost the true story there. One other thing I dislike is in the beginning how Mr. Bennet tells Mrs. Bennet right out that he has already visited Bingley. It robs him of one of his best moments in the book!That's not to say I don't like the new movie: actors, good (except for Wickham, he stinks), cinematography, great, music, on my ipod, but it lost too much of the real P&P, and it can't touch P&P2.